Sunday, February 20, 2011

Stuffed Peppers!

I hadn't had stuffed peppers in years. My mom would rarely make them because she and I were the only ones who would eat them at home. My husband brought them up and I can't believe I had forgotten about these little gems. YUM! I got this recipe from my other aunt, Star. I'm so lucky to have so many great cooks in my family who are willing to share their recipes and I've made this one twice since she gave it to me! Seems like it's a pretty traditional stuffed peppers recipe, so probably nothing new. I'm mostly putting it on here for me. :)

stuffedpeppers3
Stuffed Pepper Cups

Cut of tops & remove seeds/membranes of 6 peppers, any color
Boil in salted water 5mins.
Drain and salt inside cups ( save 1/2 cup water stock from peppers)
Filling:
1 lb. Ground beef or ground turkey
1/4 cup chopped onion (optional)
1/2 tsp. Salt & dash pepper
2- 8oz. Cans tomato sauce
1/2 cup uncooked minute rice (white or brown)
3/4 cup corn, frozen
1 1/2 cup cheddar cheese
1tsp. Worcestershire sauce

Cook ground beef or turkey with onions til browned.
Add remaining ingredients including 1/2 cup of stock from boiling peppers.
Cover & simmer approx.15 mins.
Stir in 1 cup shredded cheese
Stuff meat into cups and stand upright in baking dish
Top each cup with more cheddar cheese
Bake uncovered for 20-25 mins 350 degrees.

No comments: